October 28, 2003 RELEASE
IC Insights Forecasts 2003 Top 10 Semiconductor Company Ranking
Scottsdale, Arizona --- October 28, 2003 --- IC Insights today released its forecast for the 2003 ranking of worldwide top 10 semiconductor suppliers (Figure 1). With three suppliers from Europe, three from Japan, two from the U.S., one from Korea, and one from Taiwan, the list is expected to be a balanced representation of geographic regions. However, it is likely to be the first time that there are more European companies on the list than U.S. companies.
Led by Intel, the top six semiconductor suppliers are forecast to hold their respective positions in 2003 as compared to the 2002 top 10 ranking. However, significant movement is expected to take place in the seventh through tenth positions. According to statistics recently generated by IC Insights, the 2003 ranking highlights are likely to include:
--Renesas, the recently formed entity comprised of Hitachi and Mitsubishis semiconductor businesses, will claim the third spot in the top 10 ranking.
--Motorola (ranked 9th in 2002) is forecast to fall from the top 10 ranking. IC Insights believes that Motorola has been on the top-10 supplier list since it built its first semiconductor fab in 1959.
--A forecasted 19 percent 2003/2002 increase in the value of the euro is expected to significantly boost the 2003 results of Infineon and Philips when converted into U.S. dollars.
--Total 2003 top 10 semiconductor company sales are forecast to grow 17 percent over 2002 sales. In contrast, the worldwide 2003 semiconductor market is forecast to grow 14 percent.
Renesas Technology began operations April 1, 2003. The company was created through the merger of Hitachi's Semiconductor & Integrated Circuit Division and Mitsubishi Electric's System LSI Division. The result is the formation of one of the world's largest semiconductor suppliers with more than 27,000 employees and expected 2003 revenues of $9.0 billion. Hitachi owns 55 percent of Renesas while Mitsubishi Electric owns the remaining 45 percent.
Motorola has always been a fixture in listings of top 10 semiconductor suppliers. In 1985, Motorola was the third largest semiconductor company in the world (interestingly, Intel was ranked 8th that year). In 1995, the company held the fifth spot in the top 10 listing.
Motorolas full-year semiconductor sales for 2003 are forecast to be $4.8 billion, flat with 2002. Motorolas expected weak 2003 results coupled with the tremendous strength of the euro, which will significantly boost Philips and Infineons total 2003 semiconductor sales when converted to U.S. dollars, is forecast to push Motorola out of the 2003 top 10 ranking.
Providing evidence of the growing popularity of using silicon foundries, TSMC is expected to move up to the ninth position in the top 10 ranking. Moreover, TSMCs 2003 sales are forecast to trail NECs sales by only six percent.
About IC Insights
IC Insights, Inc., based in Scottsdale, Arizona, is dedicated to providing high-quality, cost-effective market research for the integrated circuit industry. Founded in 1997, IC Insights offers coverage of global economic trends, IC market forecasts, capital spending and fab capacity trends, product market details, and technology trends, as well as complete IC company profiles and evaluations of emerging markets for ICs.